Sunday, January 9, 2011

Entering The Mystery of 2011

"We must assume our existence as broadly as we in any way can; everything, even the unheard of must be possible in it. This is at the bottom of the courage that is demanded of us: to have the courage for the most strange, the most inexplicable." -Rainer Maria Rilke

Beginnings ask us to be courageous, to be vulnerable, to open our hearts and dive into uncharted territory. To make space for the new, we must first be willing to shed some old way of being that no longer serves. At the root of a 'fresh start' or 'clean slate' is change and therein always lies the death of something.

Death...a very scary word. Or, maybe not. What if death is simply the precursor to new life?

Once the space is created for the beginning of a new year, friendship, passion or blog :) we give ourselves the chance to enter into the mystery and courageously explore a practice I've come to call "NOT NEEDING TO KNOW." When faced with an invitation to explore the infancy of an experience, we can create a sense of support for ourselves by cultivating openness and receptivity. As our palms begin to open, control is relinquished and what will ultimately die is the need to know.

In my life and yoga therapy practice, I've often found that my own need to know is driven by fear and also a limited perspective of what is, or what could be. And thus, each time I practice not needing to know, I've found something quite spectacular: limitless potential. This spacious state of being has quite literally "blown my mind" and in the aftershock, opened my heart into unknown directions.

Inside the confines of a mind that requires clear and definitive answers, there's not a lot of room for what Rilke calls "the most strange, the most inexplicable." In my own attempts to define the practice of Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapy to friends, family members and clients, I've often failed to find the perfect words or metaphors. More often than not this form of yoga therapy falls into the "unheard of" category, a place where experience trumps explanation. This is a road-less journey that invites those who receive it to define it for him/her self.

And so, as I embark of this new year and new beginning I've named "Insight Yoga + Therapy," I welcome you to my blog and invite you to learn more on my website. If your curiosity is sparked but you're unsure about what yoga therapy is or could be for you, consider asking yourself these questions:

-what would it be like to courageously open my heart to the unknown depths of my own experience?

-what would it be like to surrender into the mystery, listen to the wisdom of my body and the present moment?

- what if I could explore and/or expand the definition of who and how I am in the world?

Questions often breed more inquiry and thus if you're asking, "what next?" Consider releasing the need to know right now, perhaps curiosity and the willingness to listen and explore will guide you in the direction that's right for you.

If you know you are interested in beginning your own experience of Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapy, please contact me at sarah@insightyogatherapy.com and I will be happy to facilitate this new beginning with you.

Happy New Year

All My Love,
Sarah

A bit more.....

click below to watch a beautiful lecture on TED about the power of vulnerability, courage, compassion and connection:

Brene Brown: The power of vulnerability | Video on TED.com

No comments:

Post a Comment